Editor: Dr. Rachel Ehrenfeld, President, American Center for Democracy (ACD)
See the sources for this article and more research in the Additional Reading section.
How do the economically inferior totalitarian and theocratic challengers expect to undermine and take over economically and militarily superior powers? How can they fight democracies at home and abroad? Who are their allies?
To answer these questions we will be focusing, for now, on the Reds . The key challenge facing totalitarian forces in undermining democracies is that they are trying to upend the power relationship between the government and the people. In a democracy, “we the people” tell the government what to do through elections, referendums, and polls. In dictatorships, the government tells the people what to do.
So how do authoritarian governments defeat a democracy, without initiating a physical attack on their militarily superior enemy? They use deception and utilize alternative forms of warfare, such as biological/chemical war, cultural/political/propaganda war, economic war, demographic war, cyber/space war, and legal war.
There are numerous ways to undermine a society culturally, particularly if the enemy has long-term strategies and the patience to carry it out over a 25–50 years. Democracies generally focus on the short term, as their political leadership changes every 4 or 8 years.
Deception can be used successfully, as the ancient Greeks discovered to their benefit nearly 3000 years ago, sending their ingenious Trojan horse to defeat their militarily superior enemy.
What does a modern-day Trojan horse look like? Here are twenty examples of how an unethical government can corrupt the minds of its population:
1) Undermining the K-12 and University educational systems with socialist/communist/racist/sexist/Islamist false narratives. Bribing college students with government-guaranteed loans, that are later forgiven.
2) Re-writing and misrepresenting the history of the people. Inadequately protecting historical statues and monuments.
3) Undermining traditional cultural norms, such as major national holidays and traditions.
4) Undermining religious norms. Denigrating the role of G-d, faith, and family. Forbidding the Judeo-Christian school prayer in public schools, but allowing Muslim prayer. Including communist-mandated atheism in the curriculum.
5) Advancing identity politics to undermine social cohesion.
7) Corrupting and taking-over media, social media, and the film industries.
8) Corrupting the youth with false narratives about socialism and prospects of instant gratification. Legalizing marijuana instead of conducting clinical trials and long term health studies.
9) Funding money-craving civic foundations and NGOs, that are tax exempt but illegally engaging in political activities.
10) Allowing foreign governments to offer deceivingly lucrative business opportunities to major political leaders and global corporations, and then blackmailing them.
11) Indoctrinating and funding domestic criminal and ideologically susceptible groups to terrorize and scare the population into submission through violent riots and intimidation. Allowing organizations like Antifa and BLM to pressure corporations for sponsorship.
12) Fueling and imposing political correctness to intimidate the political thoughts of the population. Undermining/Silencing free thinkers.
13) Undermining the rule of law with “social justice”. Massively growing government power and eliminating hundreds of thousands of jobs with hoaxes such as ‘climate change’.
14) Intellectually attacking and mocking all critics. Continuously slandering and framing the ‘good’ forces of the opposition.
16) Generating large numbers of continuous political hoaxes to bombard and confuse the public with a multiplicity of false narratives.
18) Engaging in the previously failed appeasement strategies with uncompromising enemies and then blaming the opposition when these policies fail.
19) Purposely changing election rules and policies just weeks before a major Presidential election, thereby guaranteeing a contested election.
20) Enlisting corrupt international bodies such as the U.N. and its similarly corrupt affiliated organizations to purposely restrict the ability of the U.S. President to successfully confront our enemies, then blaming the opposition for the inevitable failure.
After 170 years of constant intellectual attacks from the Left, using Marxist/Bolshevik/Leninist and Chinese Maoist false narratives, America’s democracy and social cohesion is wobbling. The forces of ‘evil’ are good at being evil, while the forces of ‘good’ are bad a being good. The dictatorial forces are waging a united, full-front offensive, while the forces of democracy and individual freedom are disjointed and un-unified. Thus the forces of ‘good’ are unable to effectively fight back. What can be done to protect and strengthen our democracy?
The forces of ‘good’ must unite to challenge their ‘evil’ enemies with a coordinated strategy. The forces of ‘good’ must highlight the falsehoods spread by their enemies and emphasize policies to protect Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. By emphasizing allegiance to our founding documents, the forces of ‘good’ can distinguish themselves from the forces of ‘evil’. There is no time to waste! Let’s start now!!
Democracy’s Road to Tyranny – Foundation for Economic Education
The Multifront War – Kenneth Abramowitz – MultifrontWar.com
How Democracies Become Tyrannies – FreeRepublic.com
The Trojan Horse – GreekMythology.com
“A Nation of Victims” Revisited – Psychology Today
Regulate Social-Media Companies – Defense One
Book of Humanitarian Hoaxes: Killing America with ‘Kindness’ – CanadaFreePress.com
Regulate Social-Media Companies – Defense One
Deceiving the Sky: Inside Communist China’s Drive for Global Supremacy – DeceivingtheSky.com