Editor: Dr. Rachel Ehrenfeld, President, American Center for Democracy (ACD)
See the sources for this article and more research in the Additional Reading section
QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
PREVIEW: Is the Administration Green Lighting Iranian Nuclear Weapons? – Ken’s Thought of the Week
The U.S. “remains committed as a matter of policy that Iran will not have a fielded nuclear weapon”, General Mark Milley, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, declared before the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense on March 23, 2023. Two days later, he corrected that statement, saying the U.S. policy is that Iran “never obtains a nuclear weapon”.
On March 24, Admiral John Kirby, the National Security Coordinator for Strategic Communications, declared: “Diplomacy is the best path forward with Iran”. He also stated that the U.S. “is not looking for armed conflict with Iran and does not seek war with Iran”, although we should note that very soon thereafter the U.S. Navy announced the deployment of a nuclear-powered guided missile submarine to the Persian Gulf.
Milley’s and Kirby’s statements confirm the Biden Administration’s appeasement of the enemy that for the past 44 years has been at war with the U.S. This policy ignores the fact that Iran continuously calls for “Death To America” and supports killing as many Americans around the world as they can, including assassinating them in America.
Iran, designated a State Sponsor of Terrorism in 1984 by the U.S. State Department, uses several hundred thousand terror operatives globally to carry out physical attacks, narco-terrorism, and cultural terrorism. Most importantly, it has been working doggedly to develop nuclear weapons. But the Biden Administration, like Obama’s Administration before it, ignores this irrefutable and inconvenient fact. Instead, it has been courting Iran to re-negotiate the very bad nuclear deal (JCPOA) that had been negotiated by the Obama’s team.
Is the Biden Administration serious in its quest to save America from the existential threat of an Iranian nuclear attack on our homeland or on U.S. allies? Does the Biden Administration have a strategy for protecting us from nuclear blackmail in the future? Or does the Administration secretly accept Iran’s intention to develop nuclear weapons?
We at Save The West are not privy to the Biden Administration’s intentions. But we offer seven plausible reasons for this seemingly ineffectual and dangerous Iran nuclear policy:
1) The Administration’s national security team is politically bent on appeasement.2) The Federal government is full of siloed bureaucracies that do not understand the full scope of the Iranian threat.
3) Many American officials perceive Iran as Israel’s problem, even though Iran has publicly called for the destruction of both the United States and our ally Israel.
4) America has dwindling military forces and weapons in the Middle East due to the “China pivot”, the Ukraine-Russia war, and new soldier recruitment deficiencies that are 25-50% below quota.
5) The Department of Defense has been starved for resources due to flat allocated budgets for ten years, adjusted for inflation. And the Central Command has been materially downsized during the past five years, since the ill-advised China pivot.
6) The Administration has steadily employed various anti-Israel, pro-Iran sympathizers, thereby signalling that the administration would not mind if Iran obtained nuclear weapons.7) The American public has been purposely misinformed about the existential threat posed by Iran, thus minimizing political pressure to address this problem.
Alas, it seems the Biden Administration is hell-bent on Green Lighting Iranian nuclear weapons. Rest assured the Iranian government would use such resources directly through war, or indirectly through blackmail.
Heaven help us from such administration incompetence and betrayal!
Scoop: Milley’s remarks on Iran alarmed Israel – AllSides.com
Kirby: “Iran Deal Is Really Not On Our Agenda,” “They Weren’t Negotiating In Good Faith” | Video – RealClearPolitics.com
Iran – United States Department of State – State.gov
Army misses recruiting goal by 15,000 soldiers – ArmyTimes.com
Pentagon budget aims to shrink the military by thousands – MilitaryTimes.com
Why Returning to the JCPOA Is a Dangerous Mistake – Heritage.org
Biden’s Iran Appeasement is Dangerous | Opinion – Newsweek.com
The US Pivot to Asia Was Dead on Arrival – TheDiplomat.com