TITLE: The Civil War of 1861-1865 Never Ended: Ken’s Thought of the Week
EXCERPT: This week, Ken and STW editor Jon Sutz examine the relationship between the U.S. Civil War, Democrats’ racism, and the violent seditious anarchy we’re witnessing in Democrat-run cities across America.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
By Ken Abramowitz; Research & editing by Jon Sutz
See the sources for this article and more research in the Additional Reading section.
American children are (or are supposed to be) taught in our schools that the U.S. Civil War ended in April 1865, when Union (Republican) General Ulysses S. Grant accepted the surrender of Confederate (Democrat) General Robert E. Lee, at the Appomattox Court House, in Virginia. Some scattered battles continued for a few months, but in August 1866, President Andrew Johnson signed a formal end to the war that claimed nearly 700,000 Americans.
A sad chapter in American history was closed. Or so we thought.
Unfortunately, the war that the Confederates declared against black people — brought as slaves to the United States — and their Union protectors, continues to this day. Consider:
(1) The Reconstruction period lasted 12 years, from 1865-1877. The North (Republicans) sought to reintegrate the South (mostly Democrats) into the Union, in the face of southern state opposition through “Black Codes,” to control the labor and behavior of the nearly 4 million freed slaves. Here is the first hour of a four-hour video series by PBS that takes an in-depth look at the Reconstruction period:
(2) In 1867, southern Democrats opposed the ratification of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution, which granted former slaves equal protection under the Constitution.
(3) In 1870, southern Democrats also opposed the 15th Amendment, which guaranteed black Americans the right to vote.
(4) Some among the southerner Democrats established an armed terror organization in 1867-1872, the Ku Klux Klan (KKK), to intimidate the recently-freed slaves.
(5) Between 1875 – 1965, southern Democrats legislated Jim Crow laws that mandated racial segregation in public facilities, thus reversing the Republican legislation that ensured all Americans, including newly-freed slaves, would be treated equally under the law. In fact, during the Democrats’ 1924 convention, they could not even muster the votes to condemn the Ku Klux Klan, the racist domestic terror group founded by some among the Southern Democrats after the Civil War.
(6) In 1964, southerner Democrats opposed the Civil Rights Act, which mandated national laws outlawing discrimination and segregation. Over the Democrats’ opposition, the 1964 Civil Rights Act, and the 1965 Voting Rights Act were both passed by the U.S. House and the Senate, and President Lyndon Johnson (a Democrat) signed both into law.
(7) President Johnson supported and signed into law a variety of “Great Society” programs, notably the “War on Poverty,” which increased financing for public schools, higher education, and a Teacher Corps, all seemingly good ideas.
(8) Unfortunately today, 55 years later, the results are disastrous. Particularly due to misplaced incentives, black families are in a state of crisis which no Democrat wants to discuss. Until the 1960s, the vast majority of black American children were born into homes with both mother and father present. Since the implementation of “Great Society” and “War on Poverty” programs, however, 73% of black children are now born to unwed mothers, and 66% are raised by single parents, which often has a tremendously negative impact on their educational attainment and proper behavioral development. Dr. Thomas Sowell, the black economist with the Hoover Institution at Stanford University, has done voluminous research into this issue.
(9) In 1916, Planned Parenthood was founded by racist Margaret Sanger to bring birth control into the reach of most of the population. Now, over 100 years later, about 860,000 babies are aborted annually, or about 23% of the 3,800,000 births per year in the U.S. Approximately 28% of the aborted babies are black, even though black women represent only 15% of the population. Despite this race-lopsided abortion scenario, Democrats’ support of Planned Parenthood is universally strong — insisting it receive about $500 million per year of U.S. taxpayer money — which is reciprocated by the abortion provider’s devotion of massive amounts of political donations exclusively to the Democratic Party:
Today, we see on streets across America — almost exclusively in cities that have been run by far-left Democrats for decades — rampant violent leftist anarchism and sedition, designed and perpetrated to overthrow not just the U.S. Constitution, but the freedom principles that gave birth to and frame it. Here are but a few examples of the domestic terrorism occurring:
Rather than being a new phenomenon, the horrors we’re witnessing are an extension of the militant ideology that animated the southern states’ war against civil order, the U.S. Constitution, and anyone who dared to disagree with them.
Will these new seditionists & anarchists’ civil war against the U.S. Constitution finally end on November 3, 2020?
The law-abiding citizens of America, who constitute 90% of the population, are certainly hoping so!
Reconstruction and Its Aftermath – The African American Odyssey: A Quest for Full Citizenship – Library of Congress
Black Codes – Definition, Dates & Jim Crow Laws – HISTORY
Video: Reconstruction: America After the Civil War – PBS
Civil Rights Act of 1875 | US House of Representatives: History, Art & Archives – U.S. House of Representatives
Fact check: Democrats hold Senate filibuster record, 75 days in 1964 – USA Today
Yes, Democrats DID start the Ku Klux Klan (and it’s still the party of racism) – Zero Hedge
1924: The Wildest Convention in U.S. History – POLITICO Magazine
The Black Family: 40 Years of Lies | Daniel Patrick Moynihan’s Report
VIDEO: Facts and fallacies with Thomas Sowell
Black Family Structure in Decline Since the 1960s: The Home Effect – The Black Wall Street Times
“Presidential Politics: Margaret Sanger in the Voting Booth” – NYU
14 Facts About Margaret Sanger – Mental Floss
Margaret Sanger was a racist eugenics advocate who shouldn’t be honored – USA Today
Why Planned Parenthood Is Removing Margaret Sanger’s Name – Time
Induced Abortion in the United States – Guttmacher Institute
Births in the U.S. 2018 – Statista
Abortion – BlackDemographics.com
Abortion: The overlooked tragedy for black Americans – Arizona Capitol Times
2020 Democrats strongly defend abortion rights at Planned Parenthood forum – The Denver Post
New Report Shows Planned Parenthood Raked in $1.5 Billion in Taxpayer Funds Over 3 Years – The Heritage Foundation
Planned Parenthood launches $45M campaign to back Democrats in 2020 – TheHill
African Americans and Education During Reconstruction: The Tolson’s Chapel Schools (U.S. National Park Service)
Acting DHS Sec. Wolf Testifies on Law Enforcement Deployed to Protests 06Aug20 – C-SPAN.org
Portland ‘looks like downtown Baghdad’ as ‘homemade bomb explodes at courthouse protest’ and cops fear for their lives – Sun (UK)
Portland protester outed by his own grandmother after she identified him as alleged ‘bomber’ seen in videos: reports – Fox News
Police officer paralyzed after shot at protest in Las Vegas – New York Daily News
Portland riot declared as fire burns in police union offices – Fox News