See the sources for this article and more research in the Additional Reading section.
As the U.S. undergoes a “civil war” or “civic war” of cultural and physical attacks from the Reds (anarchists, communists, socialists), often joined by Greens (Islamists), designed to undermine our Constitution and Bill of Rights, those of us who believe in traditional American values cannot stand by. We must counter-attack.
Here are ten logical responses in defense of our values which created the most successful country in the history of the world:
(1) All history matters! We learn from history the good and bad of the past. The goal is to sustain good actions of previous generations (eg: the rule of law), while avoiding mistakes (eg:slavery).
(2) All national holidays matter! We just celebrated Independence Day, commemorating our Founders’ signing of the revolutionary Declaration of Independence, 244 years ago. Our leaders declared that the purpose of government is to protect “Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness,” which is as true now as it was then.
(3) All statues matter! We learn and about and from history, through our statues and monuments. A key element is to provide and read informative inscriptions, that can be modified over time as our perspective changes. For example, for our Civil War statues, visitors should be reminded that the Confederates (Democrats) chose to secede from the Union to protect slavery, but the North (under Republican Abraham Lincoln) would not tolerate slavery or the dissolution of the Republic. Over 350,000 Northern soldiers (mostly white) died to free the slaves (all black). Within one week of the end of the Civil War, Lincoln was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth (who opposed the liberation of black slaves). The white racists in the South then tried to maintain local control by working with the Democrats to establish the KKK, and later, these groups again aligned to oppose Civil Rights and Voting Rights legislation.
(4) All Constitutional rights matter! After the 1776 Declaration of Independence, it took 5 years of fighting to force the British in 1781 to surrender, 7 more years to ratify the Constitution in 1788. and another 1 year to ratify the Bill of Rights, in 1789. A key goal of this Herculean effort was to protect the people from the government, through freedom of speech and the right to bear arms, for example.
(5) All American police officers and military service members matter! Although we have the right to bear arms, America’s Founders knew that we needed an army to protect us from outside enemies, and police forces to protect us from local criminals and domestic enemies. All these forces must be properly funded. The 1% or so of “bad apples” should be removed as quickly as possible.
(6) All families matter! This is particularly true for America’s black community. Since the Great Society anti-poverty programs of the 1960s, our federal and state governments have inadvertently created welfare incentives that had helped destroy the family structure of all our citizens, but disproportionately devastated the black community. Until the 1960s, the vast majority of black children were born into homes with both mother and father present. Today, however, 73% of black children are born to unwed mothers, and 66% are raised by single parents, which often has a tremendously negative impact on their educational attainment and proper behavioral development. Dr. Thomas Sowell, the black economist with the Hoover Institution at Stanford University, has done voluminous research into this issue.
(7) All elementary school students matter! Very few parents of elementary school-age children can afford school choice, without some form of aid. Only 10% of students attend private schools and only 7% attend public charter schools. It is now time to provide all parents who wish to send their children to private or charter or local public schools with vouchers, and choice.
(8) All university students matter! Major universities pretend to care about diversity, but instead repress diversity of thought. The vast majority of humanity professors are leftist elitists who are purposely misinterpreting the Constitution and Bill of Rights and American history. One recent study showed that leftist professors outnumber conservatives by an almost 12-1 ratio; in history departments, the ratio is more than 33-1.
We may be tempted to think that this bias isn’t infused into the classrooms, but research shows it absolutely is. For example, as STW editor Jon Sutz documented in his research report, “America At The Precipice”:
- “The Communist Manifesto” is the most-assigned economics textbook in U.S. colleges, assigned more than twice as frequently as any other economics book.
- A survey conducted by the Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation reveals that 70% of Millennials say that they would vote for a socialist for elective office, and 36% “approve of communism” (up from from 28% in 2018).
- 80% of Millennials, and 88% of Generation Z (those born after 1993), are unaware that at least 100 million people were murdered by the most notable communist regimes of the 20th century.
- 71% of American adults are unaware that the Constitution is the supreme law of the land; 85% cannot define “the rule of law.”
It is long past time to free students from this indoctrination, and give them the right to take courses from professors who do not distort history, or the Constitution. Other steps should be taken to correct the situation, such as, removing government tax exempt subsidies if the university is deemed a political organization. Alumni who oppose this leftist indoctrination of our children, at taxpayer expense, should contribute to new or different universities. Students also deserve to know what percentage of fellow students get jobs in the major that they have chosen and what is the average starting salary.
(9) All Judeo-Christian activities matter! Our Founders were deeply religious, and deeply respectful of both Judaism and Christianity. As a government, they believed in the separation of church and state. However, they fervently believed in freedom of religion and the protection of the congregants.
(10) Protecting the Constitution matters! The mayors of major northern cities have denied the Constitutional rights of most of their residents, who were victimized by the recent violence, perpetrated by violent anarchist and communists. Downsizing and demoralizing police forces has led to 50-100% increases in crime. The Attorney General should sue the mayors and governors responsible.
Also, President Trump should appoint a White House director in charge of securing the Constitution and our American values. As we progress in time from our founding fathers and our founding documents, we have a natural tendency to forget some of these Constitutional thoughts and values. I discussed this in a previous editorial:
We need to be constantly on guard to remind the people of the values that created our “land of opportunity” and for freedom for 100% of all of our citizens. We must make sure that all opportunities are actually provided appropriately.