By Ken Abramowitz and Jon Sutz
For those who are not intimately familiar with the Boycott, Divest & Sanctions (BDS) movement targeting Israel, here is an excellent short video, by Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, that provides a basic introduction:
Recent reports indicate that the European Union (EU) is considering a regulation that requires that warning labels be placed on Israeli imports, cautioning buyers that the products may be made in Israeli “settlements” or “colonies.”
It must be noted, however, that like the United Nations (UN), which obsessively focuses on demonizing Israel, while ignoring the worst human rights abusers in the world — the EU is not going to implement warning labels that advise its citizens…
- That Saudi Arabia is one of the world’s worst human rights violators – yet European colleges and professors gladly take its money (this is similar to Qatar, which funds the anti-Western, anti-Semitic, pro-Islamist extremism propaganda throughout the world, pouring $340 million into Northwestern University, in the US — yet there have been zero calls to boycott the nation)
That Iran is occupying large swaths of Iraq, is the world’s largest sponsor of Islamist terrorism, and hangs gays in the streets for the “crime” of being gay (it’s worth noting that Israel is the only nation in the entire Middle East in which the LGBT community can live free, and protected under law)
- That Indonesia, the laws dictate that teenagers be publicly whipped for cuddling, and gays be whipped for the “crime” of being gay (see above re Israel and the LGBT community)
- That Libyan Islamists routinely capture, terrorize and auction off black African slaves, some for as little as $400 (females and young girls are priced much higher)
- That the groups advocating BDS against Israel (alone) are often affiliated with, or fronts for Islamist terror organizations
- And yet, not one of the anti-Israel BDS organizations has mounted a campaign against any of the above human rights violators or terror-sponsoring nations — while they claim they are not anti-Semitic
Updates August 15, 2019: Regarding China’s occupation of Hong Kong, from former UK MP Daniel Hannan:
This is just across Hong Kong’s border with China. If you have tears, prepare to shed them now. pic.twitter.com/vGRHaodnKk
— Daniel Hannan (@DanielJHannan) August 13, 2019
And from Andy McCarthy, former US federal prosecutor:
Presidencies are not defined by BS like anthem-kneeling. We can handle that, thank you very much. We have a POTUS not for kulturkampf but to act for US in the world. Every now and then there’s a moment: Are you gonna be Reagan/Poland 1981, or Obama/Iran 2009? That’s Hong Kong.
— Andy McCarthy (@AndrewCMcCarthy) August 15, 2019
This potential EU policy is reminiscent of the Nazis’ boycotts of Jewish businesses during the late 1930s, in which stores owned by Jews were defaced by government thugs with “Jude” signs:
This 7:29 video by the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum documents the Nazi-led boycotts of Jewish businesses:
So why is the EU behaving in a racist, anti-Semitic way, by threatening to institute a boycott against Jewish products?
Didn’t Europe learn anything from WW2?
Analysis and debunking of BDS claims, and its advocates’ links to terrorists:
BDS in Europe – today and historically
Advocate General Hogan: EU law requires, for a product originating in a territory occupied by Israel since 1967, the indication of the geographical name of this territory and, where it is the case, the indication that the product comes from an Israeli settlement (European court ruling)
BDS in America