By Ken Abramowitz, founder and president, SaveTheWest.com
Recent news reports highlight that:
- Iran announced that it will be restarting its nuclear enrichment program, to reach the 20% (weapons-capable) level
- The U.S. has determined that Iran’s declared intent to launch satellites is actually designed to test its intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) program’s advancements
- National Security Adviser John Bolton asked the Pentagon to present military options for Iran
So what is going on?
What’s happening is that the U.S. must increase its cyber war against Iranian nuclear development sites, and get the military ready for war.
Iran has previously pledged to take over the world, and kill everyone in the U.S. (hence its leaders’ chants of “Death to America!!!”).
“Saying ‘Death to America’ is easy. We need to express ‘Death to America’ with action. Saying it is easy.”
To do so, Iran must build or buy deliverable nuclear weapons and/or offensive cyber attack weapons. Therefore, the US must deny Iran’s ability to do either.
Ultimately the U.S. has only two choices:
(1) Plan A could be containment, as in the Cold War with Russia
(2) Plan B would be physical war, as in World War 2
For Plan A to work, we must provide “maximum pressure” on Iran, as President Trump has promised, but has yet to impose. He must also impose maximum pressure on Iran’s nuclear ally, North Korea, which has also been promised maximum pressure, but not implemented.
The Administration must also overcome the recent unforced error to leave northeast Syria and our Kurdish allies, thereby making us less threatening to the Iranians.
In sum, the Administration must rethink its Iranian containment strategy in the Middle East, Africa, and Latin America. Iran has deployed hundreds of thousands of spies, agents of influence, terrorists and partners worldwide, with a heavy concentration in Central & South America. (Note: See an extensive collection of articles and reports regarding this fact, compiled by SaveTheWest Editor Jon Sutz, here.)
If the Administration does not improve its containment strategy, it will be left with an unpleasant military option.
Needless to say, both Plan A and Plan B need an urgent upgrade!